Catalogue
English

Teatro Sociale of Como

Como (Italy)

The curtain of the Teatro Sociale of Como has classically a valance and a draped harlequin, which exposes in the centre the emblem of the city. It has a traveller and a swag opening.The theater has a historic curtain realized by the very important scenographer and Lombard scene-painter Alessandro Sanquirico (Milan 1777-1849), a pupil of Piermarini too. It represents the death of Plinio il Vecchio (born in Como in 23 AD) among his soldiers during the eruption of Vesuvius that destroyed Pompei in 79 AD.
View all
The six orders of wings and the backdrop of the Stage masking manufactured with COS - Oscurante molton.
The Stage masking was manufactured with COS - Oscurante molton according to classic modalities (Strap, Eyelets and Ties on the top, hems on the sides), and it is composed by eighteen parts: - twelve wings (six for every side) size 3 x h 9 m;- five top masking 19 x h 3 m; - a backdrop 19 x h 10 m.
The picture shows the 5% slope of the floor of the stage and the installation of the wings in the way of a straight Stage masking.In this moment only two tops out of five are installed, that is the two toward the end of the stage.The openings of the wings put in evidence the arches with the doors for the charge and discharge of the stage equipments, and on the top, the two catwalks.The Flyloft is approximately 13,5 m high from the floor of the stage.
The Stage masking was rearranged for an installation of Cosž fan tutte with the backdrop made of COS - Oscurante molton as a back lining of a RTE - Temporale rear-projection screen, that was obviously used by the scenes with frontal lighting only.
The same top masking in a view from the second catwalk in the direction of the curtain.
The back tops of the stage of the Teatro Sociale seen from the first catwalk of the stage.
The wings in the direction of the end of the stage, installed to frame the backdrop made of RTE - Temporale.
The Teatro Sociale is a theatre ''all'italiana'' with the hall in the shape of a body of a violoncello, with three tiers of boxes, two galleries, 850 seats.
The construction of the Teatro Sociale of Como was started in 1811 according to the neoclassical style project by architect Giuseppe Cusi, who was a collaborator of the architect Luigi Canonica, a pupil of Piermarini.
The same Canonica was called in 1812 to complete the works and drew the southern facade, now covered.
1811-1813
construction
1855
raising for the construction of the gallery and widening of the stalls
Project
Leopoldo Rospini
New decoration
of the vault of the hall
Eleuterio Pagliano
Gaetano Spelluzzi
1909
abolition of the boxes of the fourth order in the place of an unique gallery
1988
reopening after the execution of important restoration works

Materials used in this production

3C - Canapa Rope

Ropes

8LCA - Cantinella

Accessories

COS - Oscurante

Duvetyne and blackout fabrics

Stage maskings

Acoustic curtains